I was born in Guayaquil, Ecuador where I lived until 2009. There I got a Bachelor in Computer Engineering at ESPOL (Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral). During my time at the university, I worked as teaching assistant for different lectures in Mathematics and Informatics. I also became a FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) activist, promoting the adoption of free and open source technologies in my community. This led me to be one of the founders of the KOKOA community: a group of students and professors from ESPOL devoted to inform people about the advantages of FOSS. This was achieved via initiatives such as research projects, installation parties, training courses, and informative talks. In 2008 I participated as a student in the Google Summer of Code where I developed J!Research, a plugin for Joomla! CMS that allows for management of research work, tailored for universities, research departments and individual researchers.
After one year away from academia, I decided to continue my studies and migrated to Germany where I pursued a master in Computer Science at Saarland University. I wrote my master thesis under the supervision of Katja Hose and Ralf Schenkel in the area of RDF distributed query processing. In 2012, I got an IMPRS scholarship at MPI-INF (Max Planck Institute for Informatics) and joined the Ontologies Group as PhD student under the supervision of Fabian Suchanek. At the end of 2013 the group moved to Télécom ParisTech becoming part of the DBWeb Team. Under Fabian's supervision I worked on Rule Mining on RDF Knowledge Bases. After my PhD, I worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Computer Science Department of Aalborg University. There I worked with Katja Hose. In October 2017, I joined the LACODAM team located at INRIA/IRISA in Rennes as a permanent researcher.
- Semantic Web
- Information Extraction
- Knowledge Representation: Ontologies and Knowledge Bases
- RDF Query Processing
- Completeness in Semantic Data
- Data Mining
- Pattern Mining
- Rule Mining: Inductive Logic Programming, Numerical Rule Mining
- Mining of Integrity Constraints and Background Knowledge
- Interpretable Machine Learning and AI
- Although I can prove I could ride a bike for a very short period of my life, now I have strong signals that I cannot do it any more.
- I tend to name everything: pets, plants and stuffed animals.
- I used to hate sports but now I go to the gym regularly. Besides, I acquired the taste for badminton.
- I like dancing.
- I am not a good dancer.
- I love cooking.
- And I think I am, albeit not outstanding, a competent cook.
- I learnt how to make macarons!
- I love traveling and languages.
- I hate driving and I love the fact that most European countries have a good public transportation system.
- If you ask me about my favourite book or movie, honestly, I cannot give you an answer.
- But I have a favourite quote "Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz" (Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace) by Benito Juárez.
- Gabriel García Marquez could be my favourite writer as I have not read as many books from any other author.