I was born in Guayaquil, Ecuador where I lived until 2009. There I got a Bachelor in Computer Engineering at ESPOL (Escuela Superior Politécnica del Litoral). During my time at the university, I worked as teaching assistant for different lectures in the area of Mathematics and Informatics and became a FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) activist, promoting the adoption of free and open source technologies in my community. This led me to be one of the founders of the KOKOA community, a group of students and professors from ESPOL, that organize activities and events aimed to inform people about the advantages as well as technical and legal aspects of FOSS. Such activities include research projects, installation parties, training courses and informative talks. In 2008, I participated as student in the Google Summer of Code, where I developed J!Research, a plugin for Joomla! CMS that allows for management of research work, tailored for universities, research departments and individual researchers.
After one year away from academia, I decided to continue my studies and migrated to Germany where I pursued a master in Computer Science at Saarland University. I wrote my master thesis under the supervision of Katja Hose and Ralf Schenkel, in the area of RDF distributed query processing. In 2012, I got a IMPRS scholarship at MPI-INF (Max Planck Institute for Informatics) and joined the Ontologies Group, directed by Fabian Suchanek. There, I have been working on rule mining on Ontological Knowledge Bases. At the end of 2013 the group moved to Télécom ParisTech. During my stay in Saarbrücken, I had the opportunity to learn German thanks to the courses offered by MPI-INF but also by doing language exchange meetings with German fellows who wanted to improve their Spanish skills. Through these activities, I developed an avocation for languages, which I see as an evolution of my characteristic fascination for the Spanish language. Now that I am in Paris, I am very motivated to learn French.
- Knowledge Bases: maintenance and applications
- Data Mining: Rule Mining and applications in Knowledge Bases, Inductive Logic Programming.
- Information Extraction.
- Natural Language Processing
- Scalable RDF Query Processing
- Although I can prove I could ride a bike for a very short period of my life, now I have strong signals that I cannot do it any more.
- Learning how to properly ride a bike has been one of my unmet new year's resolutions for the last 3 years.
- I tend to name everything: pets (most people do), plants and stuffed animals.
- I am not so fond of sports, but I like dancing.
- I am not a good dancer.
- I hate driving and I love the fact that Europe has a such a nice public transportation system.
- If you ask me about my favourite book or movie, honestly, I cannot give you an answer.
- But I have a favourite quote "Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz" (Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace) by Benito Juárez.
- Gabriel García Marquez could be my favourite writer as I have not read as many books from any other author.